Saturday, July 31, 2010

Volunteering For the Homeless

I am so ecstatic I can’t hold it in anymore. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be involved with the homeless community. Not only because I think it’s important to educate others about homelessness but because most of the homeless men and women that I have encountered have some mental health issues.

I am going to be volunteering every week at Porchlight, Inc. here in Madison, WI. Porchlight provides emergency shelter, food, employment services, counseling, and affordable transitional and permanent housing to homeless people in the Dane County area. Porchlight’s services are designed to foster independence and the transition into permanent housing and employment.
It’s really sad to see the folks I do just sitting on the front lawn day after day not participating in any activities. Money and budgets are tight so therefore it makes things impossible to do.
My idea of volunteering to come in and provide a Bingo Night with some prizes, or movie night with popcorn, or even a painting night where they can use watercolors and paint some pictures for their apartments.
I am looking for suggestions about what else could take place on these Saturdays. I am currently trying to ask for donations but don’t really know how to do this either.  Any help would be great.

No comments: